Telescopic Fishing Rods – Top 6 Picks for 2022 [+ Buyer’s Guide]
Telescopic fishing rods are becoming increasingly popular for anglers who travel a lot and need an easily transportable option. When using suitable fishing gear, the chance of getting a record-breaking specimen increases. Collapsible fishing rods come in different sizes and materials, so anglers have many options to choose from. When collapsible, these rods can shrink up to 12” in length. You can carry them in every backpack, even on air travel, store them anywhere in your home, and widely available on the market.
The telescopic fishing pole was invented over a century ago, so its quality increased year after year. Although old-fashioned anglers are against them, but sincerely, you can find very good models on the market today. With the right telescopic fishing rod, you will never have to worry about having enough space for your pole.
Table of Contents:
What is a Telescopic Fishing Rod?
KastKing Blackhawk II – Best Overall
PLUSINNO Rod & Reel – Best Telescopic Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
QudraKast – Best Ultralight Telescopic Fishing Rod
Magreel – Best Saltwater Telescopic Fishing Rod
Sougayilang – Best for Saltwater Fishing
ODDSPRO – Best Kit for Kids
To help you make the best choice for your fishing needs, we have compiled a list of the 6 best collapsible fishing rods on the market. A detailed buying guide is also included.
What is a Telescopic Fishing Rod?
Telescopic rods are rods that can be collapsed to make them shorter and more portable. Sections are connected in such a way that when pulled apart, they form a full-size rod. When parts are collapsed, they are stacked on top of each other. They are relatively small when compressed, and their length is usually between 1-2 feet. Anglers can choose from various sizes when it comes to extended rods.
The more sections the pole has, it will have more line guides. Having various and well-made guides is critical for even weight and stress distribution. On the other hand, more sections suggest that a link between the two is more likely to collapse. It is vital to note that instead of opening them quickly and forcefully, you should open them gently and carefully, as a hard opening could make closing them more difficult. Anglers must also be cautious when fishing in sandy locations, as small particles of sand and dirt can get into the joints and ruin the rod.
Advantages of Telescopic Rods
- Size and portability: Anglers can carry them in a backpack or any other small bag. They do not require a car to carry them, and they are also quite light. If you are a fisherman who likes to travel with their rods, you may pack them in your carry-on luggage and not worry about them getting damaged in the cargo hold.
- Versatility: These rods can be used anytime and anywhere. You can catch any kind of fish with them. They are suitable for both beginners and experienced anglers who like to take their small fishing poles on vacation.
- Price: Telescopic poles are quite affordable pieces of fishing gear, so even the good models from leading manufacturers are not too expensive. This is very useful, especially for beginners who are still learning and do not have to worry about the potential damage of an expensive rod.
Disadvantages of Telescopic Rods
- Catching large specimens: For the most popular fish species and average fish specimens you can use a telescopic rod. However, you will probably need something stronger with huge specimens like wels catfish or large carp.
- Strength of sections: Since you will be opening and collapsing the rod quite often, there is a possibility of degrading the fit between the individual sections. If one section is weaker than the other, or there is dirt stuck inside, the overall strength of the rod will be reduced. If you prefer longevity over portability, these rods are not what you need.
- Opening & closing damage: If you open and close these rod types aggressively, there is a chance of damaging the joints. Maybe not the first time you use it, but you will probably notice some damages over time.
Things to Consider When Buying Telescopic Fishing Rod and Reel
We have come up with several features you need to think about before purchasing the best collapsible fishing rod:
Length/ Number of Sections
Each section of a telescopic rod is referred to as a ‘blank,’ and the number of blanks determines the rod’s overall length. The longer the rod, the further you can cast; however, shorter rods normally allow for a more precise cast, and they are also better if you are short on space because they are more maneuverable.
Choosing a longer rod is the way to go if you want to cast further and into deeper water. Alternatively, you may go for a shorter option and wear a pair of fishing waders to extend your time outside. Select a rod length that is appropriate for your needs and the conditions in which you will be fishing.
Most fishing rods are made of fiberglass or graphite (carbon). But they are often made of a combination of both these materials. Graphite is a stiffer material than fiberglass, and as such, it is a lot more sensitive. You may want to use a graphite rod if you want more sensitivity, like when you are using fishing jigs or live bait.
High-density fiberglass rods offer better flexibility and response. It is better for downrigger fishing, crankbait, and when you want to be landing bigger fish.
The weight of your telescopic rod is also very important. Although few telescopic rods weigh more than two pounds, they are all lightweight. Just keep in mind that light can be both beneficial and harmful. If you plan on employing crankbaits, stick baits, or other high-powered baits, you are going to have some problems. You might be able to cast and present them, but if a substantial specimen strikes you, you are in for a fight.
Many of these rods are ultralight medium-heavy action blanks with a lot of bends, but they are actually designed for tiny fish to avoid damage. If you are not careful, they will break, and you will be left without your fishing gear and probably get a terrible reputation.
Three main types of rods also have a telescopic option for easy storage and transport.
- Spinning rods: When you cast a spinning rod, the sheer weight of the lure or bait pulls the line off the reel. Due to this, spinning rods tangle less frequently than baitcasting rods.
- Baitcasting rods: Having a baitcasting reel, these rods are controlled by your thumb. The line spins freely off the reel, and most experienced anglers like to use them because of the accuracy of the casting.
- Fly rods: These rods are used by fishermen to present flies that imitate the flies fish feed on. Being the most technical fishing method, it might be a good idea to take some casting lessons before you choose a fly rod.
Action (some brands use the term ‘power’) refers to the flexibility of the fishing telescopic rod. Fast action rods are more flexible toward the tip, while slow action rods have a more flexible point near the end.
Fast action rods are suitable for subtle biting fish like flounder or crappie. In contrast, slow action rods are ideal for larger species like redfish or bass. So we have the following rod actions:
- XF – Extra fast
- F – Fast
- MF – Moderate fast
- M – Moderate
- MS – Moderate slow
- S – slow
Telescopic Fishing Pole: Reviews
Here are our top 6 picks to make your decision easier. Take the time to do the necessary research and make an informed decision.
1. KastKing Blackhawk II – Best Overall
Length: 6.6’ – 8’
Rod type: Spinning/Casting
Amazing KastKing Blackhawk II is made of graphite constructed blank with floating line guides to provide super support to the rod tip. It features fixed guides like a traditional rod to provide less friction on your cast. The high-end soloscopic performance technology allows this rod to perform as if it is a one-piece rod, not a six-piece rod. The eyelets are epoxied like other high-quality options, and the color scheme is excellent – you will get a fresh and clean look.
It will certainly be fun to fish with the pole. During a test run, you will notice that the rod felt quite similar to a one-piece one. What is equally important, there are no creaking or snapping sounds to be heard. It flexes and handles surf perch very well like a traditional two-piece rod. This rod will certainly not have any trouble landing even bigger fish based on what we have seen so far. If fishing is your thing and you need a travel rod that collapses and extends to 8’, then this is the right thing for you.
WHAT WE LIKED // Comfortable EVA handles, Very durable, Many different sizes and options
WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE // Misaligned guides
2. PLUSINNO Rod & Reel – Best Telescopic Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
Weight: around 1.2 lbs
Rod type: Spinning
This Plusinno telescopic fishing rod and reel combo is one of the most popular telescopic rods on the market, and it will get you on the water quickly. It is a really strong and sturdy construction made of high-density density carbon and fiberglass that is meant to withstand the rigors of most sorts of fishing.
The stainless-steel hooded reel seat has been anti-corrosion coated and comes in various sizes to suit all your fishing demands. A complete kit with a convenient carry case is also available as an option.
As for the quality, compared to the $500 setup, this is really amazing on the first impression of seeing and handling it. You would be able to throw it in your backpack and hike in places you could not before. Based on the feel in your hand, it will change the way you pack and carry your fishing gear.
WHAT WE LIKED // Reasonable price, Excellent ergonomic EVA grip
WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE // Reel seat tends to rock a bit
3. QudraKast – Best Ultralight Telescopic Fishing Rod
Length: 6.29’ – 8.95’
Weight: 5.29 lbs – 10.58 lbs
Rod type: Spinning
This carbon fiber telescopic fishing rod from QudraCast is made from high-density carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass. The fishing pole has a soft and comfortable high-density EVA handle to hold. You can travel everywhere with your collapsible rod as it fits easily in your car, boat, truck, ATV, bag, or anywhere else you might be when the opportunity for fishing pops up.
Both professional anglers and recreational fishers will be amazed at the new blaze pattern design, capabilities, and comfortability. With its convenient luminous tip, night fishing is made much easier with this amazing fishing rod telescopic.
You can use the QudraCast rod to teach your children how to fish just like your parent taught you many years ago to make them feel important and confident with the real thing. This complete kit includes several different hooks, baits, and a fishing line. It will surely make fishing on any vacation trip a joy.
WHAT WE LIKED // Easy to assemble and handle, Suitable for jig fishing, High build quality
WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE // Nothing we could think of
Anglers May Also Find Useful:
- 8 Fishing Shoes for 2022 (Reviews & Buying Guide)
- Top 10 Fishing Chairs for the Ultimate Comfort [Reviews + Buying Guide]
- 10 Best Fishing Pliers to Unhook Your Catch in 2022
- 5 Best Fishing Sunglasses to Reduce the Surface Glare [2022 Reviews + Buying Guide]
- 10 Best Fishing Boots to Keep Your Feet Dry During 2022 [+ Buying Guide]
- 8 Best Fishing Pants in 2022 for More Pleasant Fishing Experience [+ Full Buying Guide]
- 8 Best Fishing Gloves for 2022 – An Extra Layer of Protection on Your Hands
4. Magreel – Best Saltwater Telescopic Fishing Rod
Weight: 2.4 lbs
Rod type: Spinning
The Magreel telescopic fishing rod is perfect for quick fishing sessions anywhere. You can carry it in your backpack for a nature walk or even put it in your pocket if it is deep enough. The tip bends, while the middle is very strong, making long casts easy.
The case keeps everything nice and safe and organized while making it possible to drop a line in the water within 2 minutes of pulling it over. The price is very nice considering everything you get, and that is:
- Fishing rod
- Fishing reel
- EVA carrier bag
- 120 m fishing line
- Tackle of fishing lures and accessories
The telescopic pole fishing rod is corrosion-resistant, while the anodized aluminum reels feature a foldable handle, anti-reverse and thick bail lines to provide smooth performance for game fish.
WHAT WE LIKED // Lightweight and sturdy design, Great price
WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE // Not suitable for large fish
5. Sougayilang – Best for Freshwater Fishing
Weight: 5.8 lbs – 9.3 lbs
Rod type: Spinning
This fishing rod and reel combo has all the accessories for fishing, including a carbon fiber telescopic fishing pole and an option with a fishing reel, three fishing lures, a 100 m fishing line, and a spare spool.
The rod is made of carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass, strong and durable. The stainless steel hooded reel seats make the fishing rod corrosion resistant. The guide rings are made of piano porcelain, which is also anti-corrosion, high quality, and beautiful. The pole is very well made, and the response is close to a one-piece rod. This is amazing, considering how small this pole collapses down and how many sections it has. You may not expect too much considering the price, but you will certainly be impressed with the materials and the overall quality.
With Sougayilang, you will be able to feel every bite, even of the small anchovies. The reel comes with two different line spools to choose from. The reel holds up and is still butter-smooth after continuous usage. This rod is great for anyone who travels a lot and likes to fish wherever and whenever they can.
WHAT WE LIKED // Comfortable EVA handle, Fishing reel brake system is very stable, Line roller reduces line twist and fatigue effectively
WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE // The handle could be a bit longer
6. ODDSPRO – Best Kit for Kids
Length: 3.94’ – 4.92’
Rod type: Casting
Oddspro kids kit has everything your precious little ones need for the best fishing experience. The telescopic rod will have your kids fishing in no time. The rod comes with a tackle box with everything you need to get started and give your children the best chance of making a catch. This is a great combo for kids to start fishing and spend some quality time outdoors. It is simple for small beginners to learn how to cast; maybe this was just the type of reel you started learning on before moving on to spinning and conventional gear.
The rod is made specifically for small hands, lightweight and soft, easy to use and safe. The design is bright and colorful, with a stable epoxy construction and soft EVA and carbon fiber. This makes it just strong enough for long-term use while being lightweight for easier use. The rod, once again, features an EVA handle that is super soft and makes it easy to hold. It also includes a selection of crankbaits, jig heads, float bobbers, swivels, sinkers, and soft lures suited to a range of different fishing situations.
WHAT WE LIKED // Very durable reel, Drag and crank work great
WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE // Line is of a poor quality