Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower – 7 Top Guns for Yard Care
There are many choices to make today as you decide what kind of mower will suit your needs. The size of your yard, the landscape, and the amount of time you need to maintain your property all affect a mower buying decision.
The conventional push mower is powered by sweat. Push mowers require you to move the mower forward with no help from technology. Nowadays, best self-propelled mowers take the labor out of mowing your yard. With handy controls and a transmission that powers the drive wheels, you can effortlessly mow.
This article highlights the different types of self propelled options, features, and accessories to help you choose the best solution for your yard.
10 Best Self Propelled Lawn Mowers in 2022
Mowing a lawn can be a tough job, but with one of these self-propelled mowers, you can quickly push up hills and through high grass. We looked at the quality, reliability, and features of these machines to help you find the ideal mower, that matches your needs and price point.
1. Honda HRX217K6VKA
The Honda HRX217VKA Self-Propelled Lawnmower delivers the reliability of a 200cc Honda engine and the premium features of more expensive Honda models at an acceptable price. This model offers a comfortable and convenient experience due to Honda’s Select Drive (intuitive variable speed dial) and Versamow System. The latter refers to its capacity to mulch, discharge, bag, and shred leaves without extra tools.
It sports a powerful engine and rear-wheel drive, engineered to help make things easier on hilly land or high grass. This machine allows for an even cutting experience at 7 levels, but you have to adjust the wheel manually. Its huge discharge bag is well-positioned, meaning less frequent emptying. Plus, as the best self propelled lawn mower in the industry, it includes an impressive limited 5-year warranty.
- Powerful Honda engine;
- 4-in-1 grass cutting features;
- Auto choke system;
- Micro-cut twin blades;
- Select Drive and Versamow System;
- 5-year residential warranty.
- No blade-stop ability.
2. Snapper CRP2185020
Snapper arrives with a professional series of self-propelled lawn mowers. This engine belongs to the Briggs & Stratton 850 series. Without any choking or priming, the Snapper Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower will start promptly. Rear-wheel drive will help in improving your control behind the mower traction. Controlling this grass cutter is very easy, and it won’t damage the grass. With the aid of 6 powerful surfaces for cutting, you will be able to sufficiently chop off the grass.
Ninja blade is one of the most attractive features of the best self propelled gas lawn mower on the market. Durability is another selling point since it’s made of steel. You can adjust the height of the mower with the help of 7 different height adjustments. You’ll need gas powering to start this model. The ready to start technology will make it easy for anyone to use this machine, and it also features quieter operation.
- Powerful Briggs & Stratton engine for optimal performance;
- Rear-wheel drive for easy maneuvering;
- Impressive ninja blade for mulching and cutting;
- The variable speed lets you work at your pace;
- 6 super useful cutting surfaces;
- Handle adjustments for your comfort.
- Difficulty re-starting after stopping for a few minutes.
3. Greenworks MO40L02 G-MAX 40V
The Greenworks Self-Propelled G-MAX Dual Port Mower is a great product. The fact that it’s battery-powered and self-pushed makes it an excellent mower for small to medium-sized yards. Though not perfect for larger yards, this mower does handle most terrains with ease. The various height adjustments enable you to get the cut that you want.
This model is very durable and long-lasting. The cutting deck is made from steel, and even then, it’s still lightweight. The deck is durable also and cuts up to 21 inches. The machine can hold two batteries at a time, letting you get through your mowing on a single charge. You can bag, mulch, or discharge grass clippings according to your preferences. Plus, it folds up for easy storage.
- Durable 21-inch steel deck;
- 3-in-1 design with dual-battery port;
- Simply to maneuver and handles most terrains;
- Quiet with little to no noise;
- Easy to storage;
- Battery operated.
- Not ideal for big yards.
- 10 Amazing Gas Grills for Stress-Free Cooking
- 8 Ideal Gas Grills Under 500 Bucks – Reviews & Buying Guide
- 5 Perfect Gas Grills Under 200 Dollars – Reviews, Buying Guide and FAQs
- 12 Best Desk Lamps to Catapult Your Working Productivity
- Best Office Chairs in the Industry: 11 Business-Boosters
- 10 Impressive Office Chairs Under $200
- Top 10 Beach Lounge Chairs for the Chilin
- Full Report on 10 Best Espresso Makers
- The Best Espresso Machines Under $100
4. EGO LM2102SP 21″ Self Propelled Lawnmower
The EGO LM2102SP Self-Propelled Mower is the dominant player in the cordless mower category. The machine is powered by a 5 amp-hour, 56-volt lithium-ion battery. It’ll go through thousands of square feet of bushy grass and knock down the hardest weeds.
The EGO self-propelled cordless walk-behind mower uses a simple push-button to start and a single lever for 6 different cutting heights. The battery delivers up to 60 minutes cut time on a single charge and can recharge in 60 minutes. Weather-resistant construction and bright LED headlights let you mow at dusk or dawn. The sloping nose allows you to reach under low bushes more efficiently, and cuttings can be mulched, bagged at the rear, or discharged to the side. This model folds easily for compact storage and features a 5-year warranty and 3-year battery warranty.
- Removable battery pack;
- Relatively quiet operation;
- Mulch, bag, and side discharge;
- 5-year mower warranty & 3-year battery warranty;
- LED headlights;
- Easy to fold and store.
- No washout port.
5. Greenworks MO80L410
The Greenworks Pro 80V Lawn Mower comes with a durable 21″ steel deck, which covers a larger area on a single pass. This model is powered by a 4Ah battery that runs up to 45 minutes on a single charge, ensuring you get your garden work done in-time effortlessly. The rear wheels are self-propelled that make your job much easier on any type of terrain.
Another advantage is its brushless motor, which operates super quietly and delivers the power you need. The cutting deck height adjusts to 7 positions, maintaining the grass height you desire. Furthermore, this machine features innovative Smart Cut Technology that ensures appropriate blade speeds depending on the task it’s engaged in. Plus, its 3-in-1 design supports in mulch, rear bag disposal, and side discharge.
- Quiet operation & instant push-button start;
- Use up to 70% less space with the vertical storage feature;
- Premium Smart Cut Technology;
- 3-In-1 design and 7 height positions;
- Easy to operate;
- 4-year warranty for the tool and 2-year warranty for the battery.
- The battery has to be constantly recharged.
6. Lawn-Boy 17734
The Lawn-Boy Self Propelled Lawn Mower features an electric start function that makes it easy to get started. It also includes a pull cord in case the electric start doesn’t function. The machine is quite lightweight and easy to move around your lawn. The wheels are 11″ and provide excellent stability, particularly if you have uneven terrain.
The motor is powerful and works well, even in tall grass. Plus, it comes with a bushel bag and a mulching option. Generally, Lawn-Boy 17734 is an excellent mower, especially for small to medium-sized yards. The only downside is that the height adjustment levers and the casing isn’t so sturdy. Be careful to avoid cracking the sides of the mower. Still, that doesn’t take away from its fantastic mowing action and overall performance.
- Electric starting;
- Easy assembly;
- No oil changes required;
- 3-year Tru-Start Commitment;
- 2-year warranty on every component;
- Large wheels.
- Not perfect on wet grass.
7. Honda HRN216VKA
The Honda Variable Speed Gas Self Propelled Lawn Mower is a perfect lawn mower for homeowners seeking a machine that will produce high-quality cuts and be durable in the long term. It’s powerful, reliable, and reasonably priced. This model comes with a 170cc Honda engine and 21” steel deck with twin blades, and its Smart Drive technology enables you to adjust its speed effortlessly.
This 3-in-1 beast offers mulching, bagging, and discharge capabilities. There are 7 cutting heights to opt from, as well as 5 adjustable handle positions. Although it runs on gas, this machine starts up quickly due to its auto choke system. Plus, this model has a unique stacked and offset twin blade design that provides a better cut and smaller clippings for bagging and mulching.
- Automatic variable speed control system;
- Twin blades with the micro-cut system;
- Large grass catcher bag;
- 3-year residential warranty;
- 170cc Honda engine with an auto chock system;
- Easy to use handlebar.
- Noisy when it operates.
Self-Propelled Mower Buying Guide
Here are the most important considerations you should make when choosing the self-propelled lawn mower.
- Speed – Some models possess a single-speed, although others can adjust speed settings for up to 4 mph. A bigger lawn may require a quicker, or more varied, speed settings while a smaller yard may fit in single-speed capability;
- Electric starting – Always choose the electric lawn mowers with a push button. By using an electric start, you can typically use a button for starting the engine. If you’re facing any issue with the recoil starter, you should opt for the electric ones;
- Two or three functions – A mower that can bag, mulch, and side discharge is known as a 3-function mower, the most versatile type. 2-function mowers mulch and side discharge or bag and mulch;
- Storage options – Manufacturers have paid attention to homeowners complaining about crowded garages and sheds and equipped mowers with handles that fold forward, enabling more compact storage. Some models have the forward-fold feature and can be stored standing on end for extra space savings;
- Warranty – This’s a product category where you want to look for a comprehensive warranty to make sure if something goes wrong, you’ll be covered;
- Wheel size – You’ll want to consider both the rear and front wheels. You’ll need taller rear wheels if you’re going over rougher surfaces;
- Noise – Certain self-moved machines emit a great deal of noise, especially if it’s a gas-powered model. If noise levels are essential to you, ensure to search for a quieter battery-powered model;
- Weight – Since self-propelled unit power itself, so the weight of the machine may be less relevant to you. Still, most average self-initiated models weigh in the range of the 60 pounds;
- Budget – You’ll have to factor in your budget when weighing these features out. In the end, it will be a trade-off of performance, durability, and comfort. Self-propelled models start at a few hundred dollars, but prices can move up to the thousands.
It differs significantly from a push mower, which relies on your strength and body to push the machine across the lawn. On the other hand, a self-propelled machine pushes itself so that some strain is taken away from you. You only have to direct the path of the lawnmower.
It’s critically important to look after it and carry-out efficient maintenance. If you fail with that, you may see a decrease in the performance power of your lawnmower. Your machine may need regular oil changes to ensure a long service life for your unit.
You should consistently check the blades’ health, as sharp blades are crucial for the best performance. Inspect the blades for any crack, corrosion or blunt areas and always replace them with fresh blades as and when this’s appropriate.
To adjust the speed on a self-propelled model, first check that your model possesses variable speeds as some mowers will only offer a single-speed. You should then check the manufacturer’s instructions to determine how your machine can adjust speed settings, even though it’s typically done by a lever on the handle.