10 Best Running Watches to Run One Mile More (2022 Update)
If running is a part of your daily routine, you must think about running watches and other equipment that completes your running sessions. Running watches have become an essential part of both men’s and women’s running attire, and they are beneficial for various reasons – they track your heart rate, measure distance using the GPS, allow you to listen to music, and do many other things without having to carry your mobile phone.
The best running watches come in many different colors, designs, and functions. You should choose one based on your needs and budget – you will also see that the running watch price varies depending on the brand and the watch’s features.
We have prepared a list of the 10 best watches for running you may consider, and we have included their primary functions, strengths and weaknesses that may impact your final choice. Let’s move on.
The Best Running Watches in 2022: 10 Unique & Functional Pieces
We have chosen the 10 best running watches that come with advanced functions you’ll find convenient as you do your regular workout. The choices are made based on the watch’s design, battery life, features, price, and other factors that impact the runner’s overall experience.
1. Suunto Ambit3 Vertical
Suunto Ambit3 Vertical is an all-in-one running watch convenient for a general workout, hiking, and any other type of physical activity. It includes excellent features such as altimeter, barometer, compass, GPS, and a thermometer – all these functions serve to track all your outdoor activities, no matter where you are.
- Bluetooth pairing: It allows limited smartphone notifications such as caller ID and email.
- Excellent battery life: You can use the watch for days, even with regular GPS usage.
- An immersive set of features: You will love all the functions offered by Ambit3 Vertical, especially a well-developed and accurate GPS.
- Bulky: This watch is large and heavy, which is why it may not be convenient for everyone.
- No optical heart rate: Ambit3 Vertical doesn’t include the optical heart rate. If it’s important to you, you’ll need to purchase an additional heart rate monitor.
2. Apple Watch 5
If you’re a fan of Apple products, you’ll probably want to choose the Apple Watch 5, which is the best GPS smart watch to purchase in 2020. It features a top-notch and always-on display that’s ideal for fitness and workout in general. It comes with many health features that allow you to track your activity from the very first run and get to know your results. If you choose a cellular version of the running watch, you can even stream Apple Music to wireless headphones and run without your phone.
- Lightweight: This watch is not heavy at all, which is why it’s pretty suitable for running, jogging, and other activities that involve a lot of movements.
- Robust health features: Apple Watch 5 is entirely focused on developing its health features – it monitors your heart rate, heart rhythm, number of calories you had during the day, and offers well-thought-out emergency features. If you don’t feel well during the workout, you may choose to make an SOS emergency call.
- Always-on display: Such a display function is essential because it makes the watch available all the time, without having to tap on it to see the time or something else.
- Pricey: Apple Watch 5 is pretty pricey, especially the cellular version.
- Battery life needs improvement: Customers claim that Apple Watch 5 can’t be used for a long time due to battery life.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
3. Huawei Band 3 Pro
Huawei Band 3 Pro is one of the best running watches under $100 that provides incredible accuracy and all the other features that a running watch should have. Its sleek design and AMOLED touch display with adjustable brightness allow you to wear the watch without feeling it on your wrist and use it seamlessly without carrying your phone.
- Water resistance: Huawei Band 3 Pro features a 50m (165 feet) water-resistance, which makes it suitable for pool swim.
- Multi-sports mode: With this running watch, you can track your heart rate during indoor/outdoor run, walk, cycle, swim, and similar activities.
- Sleep tracking: This watch is capable of identifying the six most common sleep-related issues and provide suggestions for better sleep.
- Glitchy: Customers say that Huawei Pro 3 becomes glitchy from time to time.
- Too sensitive screen: The screen reacts to any move, which is why you need to be careful when using it.
4. Polar Vantage V
The best running watch you can have is a Polar Vantage V. It’s a revolutionary piece that will complete your workout attire and motivate you to give your best. It’s excellent in both design and tech, and you can choose among the five stunning colors – however, the price varies based on the color. This running watch comes with immersive features that you’ll love for sure.
- Long battery life: Polar Vantage V has an excellent battery life – it can last up to 40 hours even if you’re using it with GPS and heart rate monitor.
- Extreme accuracy: This running watch provides excellent accuracy in both heart rate monitoring and GPS.
- Recovery monitoring: You’ll get a comprehensive view of how your body reacts to training. That said, you can prevent injuries and overtrain.
- It may seem complicated to use: This watch features both touch screen and five extra buttons, which is why it may seem complicated at first glance.
- Pricey: Although it comes with top-notch features, Polar Vantage V is quite pricey compared to some of its counterparts that offer more or less similar functions.
5. Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2
Apart from being the most popular in the category, Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 is one of the best women’s running watches you can buy in 2020. Its marvelous design and impressive features are some of the reasons you may want to consider this watch. It is suitable for fitness, running, jogging, and other recreational and sports activities convenient for your health.
- Built-in pace features: This watch consists of built-in pace functions that keep pace with your progress and allow you to reach your running goals with more efficiency.
- Bluetooth: You can seamlessly connect to your favorite apps using Bluetooth.
- Durable battery: You can wear the watch for five days on a single charge, which is excellent.
- Sleep tracking needs improvements: Although it provides a decent experience, this feature is not as accurate as expected.
- Unreliable ECG feature: Despite being incredibly useful, the ECG feature doesn’t launch as soon as you turn on your watch. However, it chooses a random time to start.
6. Garmin Forerunner 235
Garmin Forerunner 235 is something that both professional and casual runners will love. It comes with all the useful features, such as heart rate monitor, GPS, options for tracking steps and calories, and more. It can display notifications from your iPhone or Android, and it’s also one of the best running watches with music that you can buy at a reasonable price.
- Accurate GPS: This GPS watch provides the best GPS experience, even if you’re somewhere where GPS may be limited.
- Music: A feature that runners appreciate the most in this watch are music controls, which allow you to listen to your favorite hits as you run or do your workout.
- iPhone and Android integrations: Notifications from your Android or iPhone will be received on this smartwatch, allowing you to stay up to date.
- Inaccurate heart rate: The optical heart rate monitor is not as accurate as you might expect.
- Confusing connect app: Connect IQ, a Garmin’s third-party app store, may have some problems syncing and be confusing to navigate.
7. Garmin Fenix 6 Pro
If you’re looking for a high-end piece that brings outstanding features, then a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro is a perfect solution. It’s one of the best running GPS watches that deliver a dose of style to anyone who wears it. It’s suitable for all kinds of sports and activities, especially since it offers integrations with Spotify, which is one of its most significant advantages.
- PulseOX: This feature measures the hemoglobin in your blood and provides crucial help and motivation as you’re climbing on high mountains.
- Excellent navigation features: Garmin Fenix 6 Pro has the outstanding navigation features, including accurate maps and GPS that climbers and runners will find extremely useful.
- Long battery life: The Fenix 6 Pro’s battery life is quite durable, which is another essential benefit that customers appreciate.
- Expensive: You may want to avoid this watch because of its price, which is not so low.
- It may be too much for someone: Running watches like this one, with robust features and a hefty price tag, may be overkill for some people.
8. Coros Pace Multisport GPS Watch
Coros Pace Multisport GPS Watch is the long-lasting model that will take your daily activities to the next level. It’s quite functional and practical, primarily since it’s enhanced by outstanding built-in features such as barometer and heart rate monitor, which are critical parts of the best pace watches.
- Excellent battery life: Battery life on this watch is almost never-ending, which means that you can use it for more than two months and charge it three times during that time.
- Improved features: You’ll enjoy the features that include GPS, heart rate monitoring, smartwatch notifications, barometric-measured altitude. All the metrics are shown in real-time.
- High accuracy: GPS functions almost perfectly.
- No music: Coros Pace cannot play or control music.
- No sleep tracking: Unlike most of its competitors, this running watch doesn’t offer sleep tracking.
9. Amazfit BIP
Amazfit BIP is among the best running watches under 100 dollars that comes with many expensive-watch features. It’s a fantastic and affordable choice that allows you to stay up to date with the latest notifications you receive on your phone. Besides, you can track your distance, heart rate, and sleep to get better insights into your results.
- Affordable: This is one of the best running watches you can buy at a reasonable price and enjoy almost all the features provided by more expensive models.
- Lightweight: Amazfit BIP is super light and suitable for all kinds of activities.
- Durable battery life: This model features sustainable battery life. That said, you can expect your battery to last for 30 days with a 2.5-hour charge.
- No touchscreen: Amazfit has no touchscreen, which is why most of the settings must be managed through the Amazfit smartphone app.
- No installable apps: You cannot install any apps on your Amazfit BIP running watch.
10. Fitbit Ionic
Fitbit Ionic provides a top-notch experience to all the runners who want to keep track of their pace, distance, and calories. The functions you’ll find on this watch are quite convenient for weekend runners since the manufacturer is trying to keep things simple. All in all, you’ll love this model if you’re looking for the basic watch that comes with excellent features.
- Excellent fitness features: Fitbit Ionic is primarily made for fitness, which is why it has unique characteristics (pace, distance, calories, and more) that will keep track of your results and workouts.
- Good battery life: Fitbit Ionic can last long, which is good.
- Fitbit Pay: Fitbit Ionic allows you to make payments right from your wrist, which is a convenient option.
- Music features need improvements: It’s challenging to set up and use on-wrist music provided by Fitbit Ionic.
- Buggy: This running watch can be slow and buggy sometimes.